Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Investing in eyepiece - comments please

My Explorer 200P EQ5 Pro goto scope is due for delivery on Monday, and according to the blurb comes with 4 eyepieces. I've also purchased a set of Revolation Astro eyepieces (set of 5) for use with the scope. However I was wondering if there would be any benefit in investing in a decent eyepiece such as one of the Celestron X-Cel range (average price seems to be around £80 for something like a 4 / 8 / 12 mm)

It sounds like you already have 9 eyepieces lined up (unless I misunderstand ?). I'm not sure you will have any "gaps" in your set to fill !.

I agree nine EP's plus a barrlow possably I think you have plenty mate.

Hi John,

The set I have contains 9mm, 12mm, 15mm, 20mm and a 32mm "projector" lens.

Working the magnifications back, the scope comes with 25mm, 12.5mm, 10mm and a 5mm so I guess I have most magnifications covered

However I was really after opinions as to whether I would notice the difference between say one of the Skywatcher eyepieces that seem to retail for less than 20 quid, and one of the X-Cel eyepieces costing 4x as much ?

My advice would be to try what you have for a few sessions before investing more. Premium eyepieces do deliver additional performance but there are many alternatives to the X-Cel's which should be given serious consideration as well.

Stick with the seletion you have.

Then see which ones it is that you use.most often, then if the quality of the image is questionable get a better one of those that you use most.

In the "mid" range you may use either the 10mm, 12mm or 15mm a lot. Once you know the ones you find most useful to you then perhaps get a more expensive one.

One bit of information, if you get one at say 12mm and think that at some time you could go for a match in the 5mm-6mm range for magnification make sure when you get the 12mm that the range you try goes down to the smaller focal lengths. I have fond that TV plossls only got to 8mm and WO SWANS to 9mm, I cannot get a 5mm in either of those ranges.

Archived