Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Skywatcher SynScan and Syntrek

I know that the important thing for Astro-photography is the mount, but as I keep looking and reading different threads on here I start wondering if the mount I'm looking at is right for the job.

So the question I'm asking is what really is the difference between the SynScan and Syntrek mounts and is there only one that I can use for Astro-photography? Or is there more to it than that?

As I understand it at the moment, the SynScan GoTo will find a star etc and the Syntrek will track something so that you can image it. Therefor will the SynScan GoTo not allow me to do that?

If someone can recommend a mount, I am thinking of putting an Evostar 80ED Pro on it with a DSLR attached for imaging.

Many Thanks

The SynScan mount has the navigation computer built into the handset so it can perform the gotos and then track the object automatically, the SynTrek version is the same mount but doesn't have the goto facility but will track a manually located target.

If you plan on imaging and using a laptop to control the DSLR then you can use software like Stellarium or Cartes de Ceil to give the SynTrek the goto function and a lot more.

I put this short description together covering some of your options http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/127026-neq6-hardware-software-astrophotography.html

Thanks for your quick responses guys.

So basically they will both track something for me to be able to image but if I'm just using a DSLR stand alone on the scope then I would probably be better with the SynScan?

you can never have too much mount for astrophotography. That said, for an ED80 with DSLR the HEQ5 will be good and provide enough additional capacity for you to add a guide scope and guide cam, which you will want to do once you get subs of any length at all.

the HEQ5Pro is about £700 the NEQ6Pro is around £900 if your budget would stretch to it you would find the EQ6 a pleasure and you'll find plenty members with either of these mounts to discuss any issues with.

Cheers

Archived