NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

16 Days and Counting...

I've had my telescope for 16 days now and still haven't used it. Mostly it's been down to overcast nights, but also because I need help setting up/aligning it properly.

I have a former colleague who's an astronomy buff and he's offered to come and help me one evening, but life is getting in the way and it won't happen until next week - clouds permitting.

And the sky is looking beautiful tonight. Soooo frustrating!

You can still use it without aligning it etc. Hate to say but it helps to learn the constellations and where the planets are etc using astro software. (ouch, I can feel all you goto lovers cursing me! :)) Apart from anything else it's an enriching practise.

Hi Alan, you're right - I'm putting this time to good use in learning lots of things. When I do finally get started, I'll not be comletely ignorant! Last night hubby and I were looking up and I was pointing out various stars to him that I had no idea about a couple of weeks ago. I know he was impressed even if he didn't say it!

It's the finderscope alignment that's holding me back at the moment, rather than polar alignment. What I've found in my finderscope bears no relation to what I'm seeing through the scope. It's also not balanced properly, which is causing problems too. Once I get those two things sorted, I reckon I'll be well away!

Hi Anne, I've had my new scope one week, I couldn't wait to get to use it. Quick read of the manual and a few choice words and I was out looking at the stars.

The scope proberbly still needs to be set up or checked to see if I've set it up properly, but I could not wait a day let alone 16.

I would be out there now if we didn't have fog.

Align the finder with the main tube during the daytime. Use a distant object like a pylon tip or church spire 1-2 miles away. Get the tip of your object central in the scope eyepiece, then adjust the finder till that too see's the same thing central and voila! Use a 25mm eyepiece initially - refine it with a higher power (e.g. 15mm) for greater accuracy. :)

Ah, but there's the problem, you see - I'm at work all day and that annoying life stuff gets in the way at weekends!

It's fine - there's nothing wrong with a bit of delayed gratification. When I finally get Jupiter in all its glory, it'll be all the more special.

It's the finderscope alignment that's holding me back at the moment, rather than polar alignment. What I've found in my finderscope bears no relation to what I'm seeing through the scope. It's also not balanced properly, which is causing problems too. Once I get those two things sorted, I reckon I'll be well away!

My finder is never perfectly aligned. I centre a very bright star in a low power eyepiece and then note where it lies in the finder with respect to the centre of the crosshairs, then I know whatever object is at that same point will be visible in the main scope.

You got it, :hello2:you learn more from your mistakes and doing something yourself than being shown. :) I'm not saying you don't need advice but if you work it out yourself, it will sink in more, and give you more confidence.

Archived