Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Aurora Borealis in Scotland

WhiteShiva

Hello,

I've been trying to look on the internet for this info, but couldn't find a clear answer. Thought I'd try my luck here ;)

Are we able to see Auroras in Scotland in June? The region am thinking of it the Isle of Sky and the western part of Scotland, also the Glencoe area.

Allie

Hello,

I've been trying to look on the internet for this info, but couldn't find a clear answer. Thought I'd try my luck here :p

Are we able to see Auroras in Scotland in June? The region am thinking of it the Isle of Sky and the western part of Scotland, also the Glencoe area.

Allie

I live in Thurso,on the North coast of Scotland and it is definately too light in June,unless, and i'm really guessing here,there is an extremely strong aurora storm which could well happen as were approaching solar maximum in 2012-2013.I've had a look for reports of summer aurora and came up empty handed so maybe its just not visible in summer at all.

If a display were strong enough to trigger aurora at a more southerly latitude then i suppose,because of their darker summer skies that it might be a better chance to see them ,say in the middle of England than you would at the North of Scotland,but again i'm guessing and probably guessing wrongly..;)

In the 35 years or so that i've been looking up at the sky with a keen interest i've never seen them in the summer.

yep, i heard 12-13 should be good.

if your going to go i would say nov through jan, there is a nice little place called melvich up there on the coast, just a few houses and a little field so LP will not be much an issue if at all

Archived