NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Celestron Travelscope v Binoculars

I've a chance of a Celestron 70mm travelscope. As an option to take camping.

Would this offer anything over a pair of 15x70's?

The main advantage I can see is the interchangeable eye pieces to vary the magnification.

Which would be best? The scope is actually cheaper than the bins.

• 4 months later...

15x70s are rather large binocular so You will need a tripod anyway. You actually get more light through the binoculars and using both eyes increases the contrast you will see (so I hear, I've never really examined that).

I've been thinking exactly the same thing! I'd love to show my family abroad some planets, the moon etc, but the binos would definitely be best for deeper sky stuff, cluster, odd galaxy etc. I agree that a tripod would be very useful for the bins.

My preference would be to take the 15x70's. They've got double the light gathering power of the travelscope and the magnification will be perfect for viewing DSO's in that dark country sky at the campsite. You shouldn't need a tripod to use them if you've got a reclining garden chair to sit back in. It's only if you are standing up with them for more than a few mins that a tripod is essential.

Well if you could why not take both? then both options are covered. Must admit I do have the 15x70's and some even bigger bins and both are better with the tripod but am also thinking of a small spotting scope as an alternative for the Moon and planets. ;)

Archived