Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Flame and Horse (well, just about...)

RikM

I had a tricky time last night trying to contend with both light pollution and quite a low transparency and even though it was only -3.5°C, it felt a lot colder for some reason. Visual limiting mag about 3.0 improving to about 4.0 by the end of the run but I normally get down to about 4.5 even 5.0 some nights.

I ended up with 36 min worth of 90sec subs @ ISO800 and stacked in 20 darks. I kept some that I perhaps shouldn't but I wanted as much data as possible, just for a look-see.

Anyway, here it is. My first image of the Flame Nebula and if you squint a bit you can just make out the Horsehead Nebula as well.

Rik

post-18573-133877525909_thumb.jpg

Hi Rik

No squinting needed to spot the horse in your image after a little play in photoshop, nice one :p

Compare your image to the pile of poo I ended up with after stacking approx 35 2min subs, admitedly no darks . Using 1000d iso400 and 6" f5 refractor ,

Yours beats mine hands down ;)

post-13805-133877525947_thumb.jpg

post-13805-133877525956_thumb.jpg

Wow, thanks for that. I couldn't seem to stretch it that much without blowing the stars and you have brought out so much more colour. I don't think I am brave enough to push the saturation that far.

Rik

I started again from my original DSS tiff output and gave it a little more of a push. I layered in the less intense Alnitak from the first image to try and keep it under control. There is probably a more subtle way of doing that, but it seemed to work.

I am happier with this version.

Rik

post-18573-133877526149_thumb.jpg

Archived