Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A few questions

Hi, i brought a Skywatcher Explorer 130m from Sherwoods recently (very good shop) and can get 50% of an eyepiece set & filter kit. I get a 2mm, 5mm,15mm & 20mm long eye refief pieces. I also get 4 light filters (amber, blue, neutral grey & moon filter. For £69, do you think it is worth for what i get?

Jack

Hi Jack,

That's not a great kit to be honest. The eyepieces are not good quality and the 2mm won't be usable at all (too much power). I'd use the scope with the eyepieces that come with it to start with then add selected ones to those when you know more about where you want to go next.

You'll know when you are using the scope. If you find you want more magnification (to look at the moon or planets) then you might want short focal length eyepieces. If you want a wide field of view to admire nebulae and star clusters then you might want longer focal length eyepieces. Or you might be happy with the ones that come with the scope... ;-)

I was going to say, 2mm eyepiece! On that scope it would give you a magnification of 450x which is insane. Even the 5mm is pushing it.

The eyepiece you need is the one your reach for but don't find, and that depends on what you will be looking at. Experience will find it for you. I'd hazard a guess it might be a long one, but wait and see.

Archived