NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion Starshoot ?

I'll make my first post a quicky.........Basically I'm buying a Orion Starshoot Telescope Vid Cam and it fits nicely into where the focal lens goes.....Question is I wish to keep the power of my focal lens and even buy more powerful lenses but still using the Orion Starshoot how do I achieve this as the focal lenses (eye piece) is just that....is there such a thing as a focal lens that i can also use the camera with?

be gentle...lol...last telescope I had they didn't even have digital watches :p

p.s edit: I have a Newtonian Skywatcher Reflector.

Any help would be great.....basically I'm looking at using a Orion Starshoot Camera then I still want a high powered eye piece 40-80mm and also my barlows...... How To?? ;) because it looks like the Starshoot goes where the eye piece fits? I don't want to lose magnification.

I don't think you can get an 80mm eyepiece - do you mean 80x or perhaps 8mm ?.

Either way, you don't use an eyepiece as well as the Starshoot. The camera replaces the eyepiece, acting, as nightfisher says, as an approx 6mm or 7mm eyepiece. If you put a 2x barlow lens between the camera and the scope the camera you will double the image scale.

Ok thankyou just thought I'd enquire before I paid out the money for the Camera ...Yes 80mm, it was just a example...I know I can get a 40mm eye piece so I maybe should of used the actual piece as a example, but never mind I was hoping to keep the focal strength of the 40mm and the cam....but no worries the Orion Starshoot and the Barlows lens should be ok for now.

;)

you are going the wrong way i'm afraid, if the camera is a 7mm equivalent, then adding one 2x barlow makes this 3.5mm, adding another 2x barlow makes this 1.75mm and another a staggering 0.875mm.

The magnification is your focal length divided by your EP focal length. Your scope has a focal length of 1000mm so the camera itself is 1000/7 = 142x

With all your barlows it would be 1143x

In the UK, anything more than around 200 is wasted due to the atmosphere.

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...

I'll answer the riddle myself ...I downloaded Virtualdub it read the most ridiculous files ever to be used on a USB device and transfered them to .....what it said it would be in the orion starshoot instructions (WHICH IT WASN'T) a AVI, it was infact a MJPG or a YUY2......

So if you have brought the Orion Starshoot USB eyepiece Remember Download Virtualdub, else your capture will remain locked in the age pld file format not stated in the instruction manuals and a big p.s The programs they suggest you download on the disk...don't bother their just as old. :)

Archived