Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Adaptor thingy (For use of a better word)

You've got to remember that the lens is built in and can't be removed from this camera, so adapters for attaching the camera and scope together are out I think (unless someone knows different) That's the advantage of a DSLR. The camera can attach directly to the telescope using widely available mounts and accessories. But..It has got a tripod bush on the bottom of the camera though. I'm pretty certain it should piggy back your scope via the tube rings. My 9500 has a screw adapter on the shutter release buttom. Using a cable release (if your camera accepts it,and also available from Jessops) you'll be able to keep the camera lens open to the night sky as long as you keep the shutter open using the release cable. You need to go into manual mode in this camera and select "bulb." You can also set different times for leaving the shutter open ie. 3, 8, 15, or 30 seconds in the same manual mode if you don't have a release cable. ( Just don't forget to use the cameras self timer if doing this...It prevents any camera shake, with you not having to touch the shutter button) The idea of this is to capture plenty of available starlight onto the cameras sensor. The longer in time the shutter is open wide, the more stars will appear in your final image. Don't forget that you'll need to have the RA motor polar aligned and running at the same time as the shot is being taken so stars don't appear as streaks due to the earths rotation. I have seen some wonderful shots of the constellation Orion, taken in this manner. The image shows the obvious constellation with loads of stars surrounding it. But the main feature is M42 which clearly shows its nebulosity against the night sky, even from a simple wide angle shot. Maybe someone can show you an example. I'm not Au Fais with uploading images at the moment.

Sorry, we both posted at the same time. There you go... Well done Kai. I take it the camera more or less attaches to a 1.25" eyepiece via an adaptor? Mmmm.. Just trying to think how stable the camera would be pivoting off an eyepiece and the stresses to the lens mount involved. Does the camera need supporting in any fashion whilst attached to the eyepiece?

I have a crayford focuser..

Since I have a dob, I don't have a motor drive, so DSO's are out for now, it's mainly for moon stuff, and prahaps the odd planet really.

As for widefield, I will do that via piggyback, which I usually do.

I'm hoping the new camera will produce better moon shots quality wise than my Canon

http://stargazerslounge.co.uk/index.php?topic=9506.msg102060;boardseen#new

Those are my best offerings with my Canon.

Kain

Archived