Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Equipment Upgrade Strategy - opinions please

I am trying to develop an upgrade strategy for my astronomy equipment and would appreciate some advice and/or opinions from the people on here.

I am interested in visual but am trying to develop with a bias towards astrophotography of DSOs

My current Equipment consists of:

Sky Watcher 150P 6” Newtonian with 1 ¼” R&P Focuser

Sky Watcher ST80 guidescope used with 1 off SPC900s

Sky Watcher Syntrek NEQ6 Mount and tripod run through EQMOD.

Revelation Eyepiece kit and Orion Shorty Plus x2 Barlow

Canon 450D unmodified with remote shutter release

2 off Phillips SPC900 (SPC880 Flashed) with IR/UV filters

Items that I aim to purchase in the future are:

Revelation Newtonian 2 inch Crayford Focuser Dual Speed

To improve from the standard R&P focuser and allow the opportunity to use 2” EPs

Baader MPCC or Sky Watcher Coma Corrector

To do what it says on the tin - correct coma. Should I go for the Baader MPCC Visual & Photographic set?

TeleVue Powermate 5.0x 1.25"

For use with SPC900 to capture planets. I appreciate that one scope does not do everything and my setup is too fast a scope but I am happy to persevere until funds allow a longer Fl scope more suited to planets.

Better quality EPs

I will upgrade my EPs to improve the visual experience, ideally to TV, but will make do with what I have for the moment as I am leaning towards the astrophotography side of things

I did like the lure of something like an Equinox 80 frac but I think the 150P gives sufficient light grasp, more is always desirable, so should I look to purchase a Skywatcher Explorer 200P DS OTA which would give me an extra 2” aperture and a 2 inch Crayford Focuser Dual Speed to boot?

A lot of questions i know and the decision is ultimately mine but I would really appreciate your opinions, if not, thanks for reading.

Ian

Cannot overly help other then the repeat something that someone else said.

Treat visual and astrophotography as 2 separate fields.

If you want to do one then get the set up for that.

Astrophotography really needs a sharp image, this is best delivered by a good apo refractor. It all depends on how deep into AP you intend to get.

If possible get along to one of the imaging workshops that are mentioned here on SGL, or see if a local club has one or a person that is into AP and will show you their setup. I think you will be surprised at what they use. It isn't something that one night can be used for visual and the next for AP.

Archived