SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Skywatcher MN190 and Moonlite focuser

Hi,

I have a “Mk1” Skywatcher MN190- this is the one with the basic single-speed focuser. As I intend to use the scope with a Canon 40D I am thinking of upgrading the focuser (possibly to include motor focus), and have been looking at the Moonlite range; there seems to be a bewildering range of options and costs, particularly when considering the motorised versions.

I wondered if any other MN190 users had opted for a Moonlite focuser, and if so what combination of components you settled on? Or can anyone recommend an alternative focuser (with or without motor) for the MN190.

Any thoughts or suggestions will be gratefully received.

All the best, Herrman :)

Why do you want to change the focuser? I have the same focuser. A pretty heavy QSI 532wsg camera cab hang off it very securely and I don't have any problem getting a tight focus using a Bahtinov mask. You can pay a lot of money for something shinier and smoother but will it actually improve you images.

Having said that, it is possible I will change at some point to a stepper motorised focuser and use with focusmax. If I do it will probably be a Lakeside focuser. This attaches to an existing focuser to make adjustments just like a robofocus.

Hi Martin,

Many thanks for your thoughts.

I think the reasons I'm tempted to change the focuser are;

I have an EQ80 and have been impressed by the quality, smoothness and sensitivity of its focuser. I find the MN's focuser quite coarse in comparison and wondered how it would cope with the weight of the DSLR.

I thought motor-focus would be useful, as it would eliminate the vibrations caused through my clumsy manual handling of the focuser, also if controlled via laptop I could monitor and control focusing via the screen; this would do away with the need to keep changing spectacles!

However, I'm interested to hear that you find the original focuser adequate to the job. You are absolutely right- there's no point in spending money on something that looks good but provides little overall improvement in performance. Also, I will most certainly take a look at the Lakeside focuser you mention.

Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions, it's really great to learn from other people's experiences.

Regards, Herrman

I to, have the single speed, original, version and have been amazed how well in perfoms with a camera and filter wheel attached, no slop whatsoever and when focusing I haven't found any problems. This focuser actually works better at holding the camera load than my JMI electric focuser I have on my SN.

I was thinking of swapping but as the original is so good I am staying with it.

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your reply. It's interesting to hear that you are getting good results using the standard focuser. I think my thoughts about the focuser have been biased by Astronomy Now's review of the MN190 when it first appeared. Hearing that others find the focuser is up to the job makes me think I should get a few more hours imaging under my belt before rushing off to make costly purchases!

Thanks again, all the best, Herrman.

Hi Pete,

Thank you for your reply. It's interesting to hear that you are getting good results using the standard focuser. I think my thoughts about the focuser have been biased by Astronomy Now's review of the MN190 when it first appeared. Hearing that others find the focuser is up to the job makes me think I should get a few more hours imaging under my belt before rushing off to make costly purchases!

Thanks again, all the best, Herrman.

I agree give it a good run first before spending out on something you may not need.

• 2 months later...

Archived