NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

iPod/iPad

Has anyone made a set-up to control their telescope on their iPod touch/iPhone/iPad? They seem to be ideal devices to control, and possible even remote view 'scopes.

It also strikes me that smartphones, with their built-in GPS and compass would be great things to connect to goto-scopes to aid set-up - reducing the cost of the stuff in the scope....

Just wondering if anyone on the forum has done/tried this and what the results were.

Thanks

I am using my iphone to get true north and the star walk app to find out which star I am looking at. There is also the ISS Visibility app which tells you where thats going to be. There are some neat little apps on it. More research I think. I will ask my techy mate. Intel do there own apps for netbooks now as well. I will take a look.

Jen

hi yes - i use eq6 pro with iphone 3g, skysafari app and skysafari wireless controller dongle. (dongle is 130ish, app 10ish)

In summary the app is good for finding your way around sky, locating objects etc with or without the EQ6. When connected to EQ6 added conveneience of not having to manually locate/find objects - lazy persons astronomy :) but i also like challenge to find manually too. Another good point about the app is you can download observing lists - great to load up others or enter onto device from astronomy now/S&N for nights observing - saves a red led torch :(

But - note it wont make setup neccessarily much quicker as the mount still needs to be aligned as standard first - either using synscan controller or via EQmod and PC software setup. The iphone wireless dongle is for control only.

In summary i use it for visual at times to locate dim/hard to find objects. Also looking at getting into astro imaging but very early stages as yet.

Overall i like the iphone setup - note they have just released a cable option too.

there are some other slightly cheaper options using hardwired serial converter to connect directly to PC - but cannot use iphone to directly control, but could use as navigation aid.

I expect the next coupe of years for this whole space to hot up over the next couple of years. Cheap tablets/smartphones and WiFi/Bluetooth should revolutionise many hobby areas, and astronomy I expect will benefit.

My wish list would be a sturdy goto-mount with built-in WiFi and webserver - imagine a network of amateur 'scopes on the net. Of course, nothing beats looking through an eyepiece in a cold, damp garden and jupiter hoving into view, but if it is acceptable to build an observatory to keep you warm and dry whilst observing, then why not do it indoors on a hi-def screen...

Stelllarium for iPad has an option to remotely control a telescope. I've not tried it myself, but if its half as good as the rest of the app, it should be pretty good.

I don't think the iPod version has that option but I may well be wrong. If it doesn't have it now, I suppose it could get added as an update later?

Tom

Archived