NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Portable telescope for home and camping

Keith, it does sound portable, but 75l is about 3 times more space I have for my stuff when camping. (it's a bit of a keeping up with the Jones' affair when we go, electric hookup, kitchen, wardrobe, king-size divan, kitchen sink enc!;)), seriously though, I am still thinking I could fit it in, just, Telescopes are flat and would fit on top of the bulk of sleeping bags, tents etc. or, in the rear foot-well.

Alan, I'd definitely like a 8" or 10" don/reflector(on a tracking mount), but it's not going to fit when camping. I know it would be great, but you should see out car, the exhaust is almost scraping on the floor it's that full!:p An 8-10" reflector dob or otherwise) is definitely on my horizon for home use!

Excellent advice from all, I need to take the plunge soon, I'm itching to try something, but the current sky's are telling me there's no real rush. Telescopes don't really date do they, like classic camera lenses, a gud 'un' in always a gud' un'!:D Judging by the picture I've taken on film, with a small Olympus range-finder,compared to my DSLR, I can't disagree! ;)

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please excuse any typos, spelling mistakes etc. I got a bottle of Laphroaig Quarter Cask for Christmas, and have had a couple !;):)

I can tell as well, because I'm using excessive emoticons, which are quite annoying normally!!!

Sounds like you need to go to a Star Party :-) Get some 15x70 :-)

Is there a size limit to what people will bring to star parties??? Some folks bring scopes larger what many others would think is too big to fit inside their house. Probably not the best indicator of portability.

but, I agree with Davo. Go to star party or local astronomical society gatherings to check out the different scope. A 10" reflection is not a small instrument.

I casually mentioned to my wife that I was thinking of buying a budget telescope whiles we were watching a recording of the Planets and she was really up for the idea!

Wow! My list of justifications for my forthcoming scope is now longer than the list of scopes I am considering... ;)

Mike

Archived