Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Planethunters - citizen science project

parvee

Hi,

www.planethunters.org

Thought I'll mention it if you haven't seen it. It's a citizen science project that aims to find planets orbiting stars ouside of solar system. It relies on users analysing graphs representing intensity of the star's light over period of time. Project is using public data from NASA's Kepler mission.

Give it a shot if you're interested in this kind of stuff.

Here's the picture official candidate found by planethunter users:

e67hmp.png

• 1 month later...
  • 10 months later...

I thought I'd dig this thread up since planethunters and stargazing live are working in conjunction. They originally hoped to classify 250,000 stars in 48 hours but that number has been bumped up to 1 million due to the popularity of the show.

I had forgot that I had an account and upon checking my history I had identified 1 target as a potential exo planet and 3 potential binary's. Given I know I miss most of the not so obvious ones I think that's pretty sweet. Granted it's a geeky affair but if you want to find the best way to faff about at work or home this is definitel it.

Archived