NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 pro mount

Thanks for the reply... is it the tight tollorance that cause the "grouching" sound at the start and end of a run I've heard in so many video clips such as this

What sort of motors are used in the EQ5 pro goto mount ? - stepper or servo ? anyone have any ideas what motors are used in the Celestron CG-5 mount and what's more reliable (the CG-5 mount sounded noisy in operation compared to the HQ5 - if you take away the sound at the start and end of the run of the HQ5)

Comp%20C6-SGT%20%28XLT%29.jpg

The HEQ5, EQ5Pro and EQ6 are a bit more flexible if you intend to start imaging as they can be controlled from a computer using the excellent (and free) EQMod. I think the Celestron can also be computer controlled but not to the same extent.

The rattle at the beginning is normal as is the sound the Celestron mounts make - it has been said that the CG in CG5 stands for Coffee Grinder, since it does make a similer sound!

At the end of the day, it comes down to capacity and cost - all the mounts you mention are good mounts.

Thay are HEQ5 mounts and it loosk like badly adjusted worm gears to me. They can be like that and its easy enough to tune out.

The German video shows the gears making their wind up/wind down noise. Most of that can be eliminated by careful worm tuning and better lubrication. The German visie shows the gears as looking a bit dry to me. Someone should tell him before he wrecks his mount. The remaining clatter is common to these mounts and is hardlu adible outside but if its is bothering you it can be tuned out of the motors if needed.

Guys thanks again for the feedback. I've just received a mail from the retailer (yeah on a Sunday) that both the C6-SGT goto and the E200P on the HQ5 pro goto are out of stock with the distributor until March !

The noise thing is not really a problem, but at 2am I don't want the guys next door to complain on a summers night when they sleep with the windows open !

Archived