Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which one..........?

Yet another relative newbie wanting advise on which scope but I 'think' I have narrowed it down to two. Both are almost identical but it's just the mount that differs and the price. I'm also gonna need to save up for the scope but need to know what you think so I can start saving asap!

Right the two I have gone for are either Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 200P HEQ5 PRO or Advanced Series GOTO - Celestron C8-N GT (GOTO).

Is the Skywatcher really worth the extra? Guess it's for the mount?

I will be wanting to do some Imaging at some point so want GOTO on a good mount but again have no kit so will start off with a webcam for some Planetary and Lunar stuff first then save further and get a DSLR etc for DSO's. This will be the same for my visual wants too. I want something to get some good Planetary, Lunar & Solar as well as DSO's.

Is this scope suitable for this? Is there something better (similar price)?

I have also seen the 200P DS Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 200P DS OTA which is supposedly more suited to Imaging. Is it worth paying the extra still for one of these? Would the visual be affected by this?

Or maybe I even drop down in aperture :D and go for the 150P DS Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 150P DS OTA on the HEQ5 mount which would be a similar price?

I'd love the 300P DS on the NEQ6 PRO (Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 300P DS NEQ6 PRO) but I can't stretch the budget to that.

I've gone on a bit there but any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers. :evil1:

Would the HEQ5 mount with the 200P DS OTA on also take the additional weight of a DSLR easily enough as required for imaging? Something like the Canon 500D I'm thinking of getting.

Imho - I reckon the weight of the ota plus any extra equipment doesn't want to be more than around 80-85% of the mounts carrying capacity. It's just finger in the wind but I figure the mount wants to be solidly planted and heavy, enough to eliminate any possible vibration during imaging :D

Imho - I reckon the weight of the ota plus any extra equipment doesn't want to be more than around 80-85% of the mounts carrying capacity. It's just finger in the wind but I figure the mount wants to be solidly planted and heavy, enough to eliminate any possible vibration during imaging :D

Are the specs readily available for the carrying capacity etc? Best to check this before buying. Although it will be a while before I have saved for the scope and mount never mind the DSLR too :evil1:

Archived