Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How did everyone get into stargazing?

Hi people,

I'm a newbie to this group and just wanted to say hello to everyone and find out what got other people into stargazing.

I have always had an interest in astronomy, but never really got much beyond being able to point out the Plough and Orion's belt. Other than that, I would just look up in awe of the vastness of the sky.

However, last November my family and I went along to a talk at Kielder observatory (which is a fantastic place) and this really re-sparked my interest again.

Since then, I have got hold of a second-hand planisphere and a red tourch and have started trying to locate constelations in the sky with a pair of bird watching binoculars. My daughter also enjoys coming outside with me and we've both recently started going along to our local astronomy club.

We've recently decided to up-grade and are eagerly waiting for our skywatcher 8" Dob to arrive, which I'm hoping will be every bit as good a scope as I've heard it is - can't wait to get it set up and......collimated :D

I would love to hear other peoples stories as to how they got into stargazing!!!

Archived