First Post. Accessories - Torch

Hey, i'm about to buy a skywatcher skyliner 8" dob. I have one book Nightwatch, and i'm gradually doing my research.... total newbie!

but i figured if i want to do anything on my first night, i need to buy a red light torch... so, any advice on what is so simple but surely so important an item???

thanks for your help!

btw i didn't want to post this in the beginners section (i would have prefered accessories) but i didn't know how to post in another section!!!

Yes a red light torch will serve you well but you don't have to buy one you could make one by just putting some red film over the end of an existing torch. I prefer to use a red light head lamp it keeps my hands free for holding ep's, scope, star chart etc.

I use Nightwatch a lot I find the star charts are very good. Enjoy the 8" Dob.

Hi Nick and welcome to SGL.

I bought an "Energizer" head torch for around a tenner which can switch between 2 white LED's to 1 red. This of course leaves your hands free! I believe there are cheaper options though. That said I have been very pleased with mine.

wow, thanks for the tips, i might try a red film over existing torch, or maybe try and order a head lamp with red LED's from work (i won't mention the telescope!!)

are there any other accessories you would recommend?? it seems most people seem to get a telrad or rigel quikfinder, a good seat, and maybe something to stop dew (though i haven't done any research on the issue of dew!)

Hi Jordan,

I would agree that a head torch is the best way of handling the torch. Can I add that it's not just having a red light, it also has to be of the right brightness (i.e dim) otherwise it will still effect your night vision, admittedly less than if it was a white light. So when you are adapting an existing torch as suggested above, try and make it a darker red if you can, as it will make all the difference.

Turn Left at Orion is a good suggestion but they are printing the new revised copy in spring which will update the tables at the back, many of which only go up to and including this year. Lastly I would recommend the Telrad. The biggest probably in finding your chosen object is having to deal with inverted and back to front images be it from the scope or the finder which typically is a straight through type. The Telrad once aligned does put you very near your target allowing you to fine tune within the view of the scope. Of course one thing that will make a difference is a dark sky - light pollution makes finding objects very difficult.

Clear skies

James

Turn Left at Orion is a good suggestion but they are printing the new revised copy in spring which will update the tables at the back, many of which only go up to and including this year.

The copy I bought a couple of weeks ago is the eleventh printing (2010) and it states "All tables of data have been updated to the year 2020." So, I guess the update's happened, unless there's another one expected.

Thanks for the reply JBM. Think i'll try and get a headlight and just attempt to dim it down. also, would you recommend a telrad over a quickfinder- only they appear to be absolutely massive!! :)

nick- cheers for the tip, i'll look out for the latest edition now!

You can buy a torch and paint it red - problem is doing that is likley to cost as much as a red light torch.

As I happen to own plenty of nail polish in red (in every shade including Bohemian Red)I tried this out using an old maglite and the results were deeply duff. It assumes you have a friendly lady prepared to let you use a nail polish. My nail polish costs about £7 a bottle so its not cheap and to be honest I'd rather not waste it on painting a torch head :)

I bought a red light torch - the Orion Starbeam - its a gem. Its a wind up job so never needs batteries and it cost £14 3 years ago - it was so good I bought a second one cos I wouldnt be without it.

WE've got a Skywatcher duial LED torch which came with our scope. I thinnk they ar about £16. It has a switch to go from red to white light. The thing I don't like about it is the thing that is probably meant to be a feature, and that is the adjustable brightness. You turn it on via a rotary switch then keep turning it for more brightness, then reverse the process to switch it off. It is only any real use though at full brightness, so you cannot just switch it on or off, but have to scroll the wheel back and forth. A separate on/off switch would have been better.

I have one of those Skywatcher torches and the lower settings of light are definitely enough to read your star maps without turning it up to the full brightness. The adjustment is for you to find the minimum light possible. I think there is clearly a difference here between using a light in your own back garden where you can please yourself with no one else around than when you go observing with others. With a head torch it is natural for you to face the person you are talking to but on the receiving end, catching the full glare of an average red lit head torch will still be enough to destroy your night vision - you won't be making many friends that way. :)

Clear skies

James

Archived