NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Testing a HEQ5 Pro

simplybob

Hey guys,

I have bought a second hand HEQ5 Pro and it arrived today. I'm about to put it together, and as this is my first mount I was wondering if there were any things I could do to test what condition its in when its fully assembled?

I need to hurry up and buy a telescope now! :)

Thanks.

It's so refreshing to hear from a newcomer who's thought of the mount first! And a superb mount at that. Although I've owned an HEQ5 myself, I can't offer any particular ways of testing it, but I'm sure you'll have a good few years of service with it. Good choice!

Basic tests for the mount - what I would feel for if I were buying and what I test when people lug their mounts to my front door for advice........

Make usre the mount is on its tripod and bolted down. Leave the weights off for this lot.

1/ Lock the DEC and RA Axis clutches. Now try to twist the mount slightly in either axis (ie try and rotate the DEC axis and tbe RA axis by hand by hoolding them) dont go mad - this isnst a test of strength. Just wobble the axis back and forth. Is there much play in it ? If the play is small leave it alone. If lots it can be tuned out.

2/ Power it up - run the mount in each axis ( DEC and RA) at full speed slew (select x9 off the control pad) and run the mount in each axis a full 360' and back again. The motors may make a sort of rattle sound as they start up (thats fine) but the mount should move it a full 360' with no nasty brrrrrrr sounds anywhere in the cycle.

2a/ Assuming all went well with test (2) now release the clutches and spin the mount through its axis by hand, do they move smoothly, it may have a sort of sticky feel to it as though its moving in treacle but it should rotate smoothly and show no signs of wobbles in the axis. Rotate it by hand a few times and then leave it in a random position. Lock the clutches and run it through test (2) again.

THis will show if there are any potential issues with its worm gears or motor gears.

3/ Enter duff data to the handest - any old thing will do - as though you were aligning. Just enter todays date for instance, any old coordinates and let it do a 3 star align. Doies the mount carry out an alignment process ok.

4/ Check the fimrware and software versions and upgrade to 3.27 if necessary. Some of the earlier releases had bugs.

5/ So long as it passes these simple tests there wont be much wrong with it.

almost everything on this mount can be tuned up, fixed etc by a strip down and rebuild. Theres my own guide on line which can talk you through this and tons of help on here.

Just post up if your stuck.

Wow thanks a lot for the advice guys! At the moment I have the mount and tripod set up, but I am still yet to power it up and give it a test.

I was wondering what I need to be able to connect it to the mains, as all I've got is the cigarette lighter cable?

I have some cheap mains plug that lets you change the voltage and comes with different adapters, but theres no chance I'd trust it on this bit of kit!

The HEQ5 Pro needs a minimum of 2amps to drive it. The average wall wart type adapter is useless - not enough ooomph.

I hate to sound like a panic monger but if your not sure on power DONT - the HEQ5 like most mounts is a very stroppy lady and if it is plugged in with wrong polarity or voltage it will be busted in an expensive way.

Depending on what you will use out in the field/garden or wherever you intend to use it I would either get a battery pack like this....

Portable Jump Starter and Air Compressor : InCar Battery Chargers and Compressors : Maplin

Or a solid mains supply like this....

Rapid Electronics - Electrical & Power > Power Supplies > Bench PSUs

If running off mains make sure you have an RCD box attached and keep the power supply dry - ie in a dry box or better still indoors while you run a long 12v lead to the mount.

You may need to get a better cable as well. If the cable you have is the one supplied with the mount its like a bit of wet string and will probably just die when out in the cold.

Thanks for that some really good advice.

I wish I knew this stuff before I got the mount, I want to play with it now. :)

Before I head off to Maplin today I was wondering if you could tell me if these are suitable?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/ac-dc-multi-voltage-4a-switched-mode-power-supply-48517

I notice that this one isn't regulated though, does that matter?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/12v-5a-cigarette-socket-power-supply-42702

Also if I decided to get the battery pack what adapter would I need to connect it to the mount?

http://www.maplin.co.uk/3-in-1-portable-jumpstarter-383992

Many Thanks!

First one - no - I wouldnt buy. Its switched mode and other people have had gyp with switched mode PSU units.

Second one - should work ok. See no reason why not - make sure the cigar plug that you plug into it is fused though.

Third one - no idea why its cheaper than the £34 version - might have a smaller battery perhaps and worth asking.

You'd need a power lead like this...

Cables, Leads and Controllers - SkyTron Power Supply Cable for Skywatcher & Celestron Mounts

Steve will sell you the right one - you need a Skywatcher to Cig adapter.

Personally I preferred the one from RAPID Rapid Electronics - Electrical & Power > Power Supplies > Bench PSUs just looks more the business and solid.

Archived