New Guy Needing EP Advice Please

Hi,

I could really do with some help please guys. I am really new to all this but have got the Stargazing bug big time. Since seeing Brian Cox's "Wonders of the Solar System" and then watching the Stargazing Live shows on BBC2 i decided that I would really like to get out there and discover our skies properly.

Anyway, in the last 2 weeks I have bought...

Skywatcher Explorer 200P/1000 with EQ5 mount (wanted to learn myself so did not want to go with the GOTO). I thought this would be a reasonable beginners scope?

Celestron Eyepiece and Filter Kit (just to get me started).

Baader Hyperion 13mm (first "nice" EP)

Philips 1.3MP USB Webcam 90fps and eyepiece adaptor (with CCD chip) - believe this is the one most astronomers seek for imaging?

I have tried out several of the Celestron eyepieces and was pleasantly surprised considering it was a kit. The Baader is a beautiful eyepiece and the despite still being relatively cheap compared to say a Nagler, I could really see the difference in quality.

Having a scope of F5 I'm considering what the next piece of kit is that I should invest in? The 2 Barlows I have are ok(ish) but I was considering a 5x Powermate? Really not sure what to do next?

Last night I had my first look at Jupiter with a Celestron 6mm and was generally pleased with the result but would really like a little more clarity. Any ideas how I could best achieve this guys? A better 5mm or 6mm eyepiece or a decent Barlow. I'm at somewhat of crossroads at the moment and I'm not sure which way to go.......

My budget isn't endless but I am prepared to invest well in the right EP?

I'd really appreciate any help or advice with this.

Thanks in advance.

Steve :)

You may find the lack of clarity was no fault of the 6mm Plossl but possible poor seeing in the atmosphere instead. Perhaps a slightly lower power eyepiece would give a better view.

That said, the TV Plossls are excellent and should be a step up from the 6mm GSO Plossl you are currently using. Although there is only an 8mm available. The Baader Genuine Orthoscopic is very highly rated and will be hard to beat for sharpness. Both have a similiar amount of eye relief as the 6mm Plossl you are already using and with a slightly smaller field of view.

Jupiter was not clear last night. Too much Moon and Jupiter was too low in the sky. I wouldn't go blaming your eps until you have used them for a month or so. I have the 13mm Hyperion too and it is superb - but not last night on Jupiter!!!

Thanks for the reply Russ.

I did consider that it might have been atmospherics and it was still reasonably early (8.30?) However, I would still like some advice from the guys on here as to what would be a good next purchase......it's a bit of minefield to us new fellas....

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Putting a barlow on a cheap eyepeice (or any ep for that matter) will never be as good as having the 'real' thing. More reflective surfaces, inferior optical geometry.

A chain is only as strong as its weakest link. Putting a barlow on a cheap eyepeice (or any ep for that matter) will never be as good as having the 'real' thing. More reflective surfaces, inferior optical geometry.

Good point - I agree 100% :)

Archived