Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Moon with spc900

Hi and hope someone can advise.

I have been reading the about the suggested settings for using the spc900nc on Jupiter and was wondering if i should use similar settings and capture times, frames etc for the moon?

As much fun as it is to find out myself, :), a nudge in the right direction would be appreciated.:)

Thanks.

Mark.

you can use the same settings, but sometimes i use the black and white option as theres very little colour with the Moon and you can take as many images you like as the Moon isn`t rotating, for best close up images it`s best to try when it`s no more than a half Moon as when it`s full the brightness blocks out all the lovely details of the craters and shadows.

you can use the same settings, but sometimes i use the black and white option as theres very little colour with the Moon and you can take as many images you like as the Moon isn`t rotating, for best close up images it`s best to try when it`s no more than a half Moon as when it`s full the brightness blocks out all the lovely details of the craters and shadows.

Thanks for the reply. I have recently used the spc900 on the moon and was using it with the colour off, and was imaging the terminator so the image was not fully lit and there was some nice detail visible, but having seen the quality of some of the lunar images taken lately with similar kit i was wanting to achieve better results.

Personally I think grayscaling the images loses subtle shading - it's a matter of taste I suppose. I used to do black and white with the refractor but the Mak has less problems with aberration and besides there are ways of doing RGB align to compensate. As for settings it's down to trial and error and works best for you. You just need to be careful you don't overexpose on the brighter areas.

Brian

Archived