Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Photoshop for Coma Correction?

Just added an autoguiding setup with Canon 1000D to my 250 Newt and had a quick go at M42. Managed to get 6x2 min subs (limited by LP, but the EOS Clip filter's here now - hence the rain...) and the result's below (top).

Now unless those nice people at Camelot decide to buy me a coma-corrector, I'm going to have to live with coma for a while, so I thought I'd play with the lens correction filter in Photoshop.

As you can see at the bottom, the coma has gone, but M42 has (naturally) got bigger; is this correct? Photoshop corrects the distortion by essentially pin-cushioning the image; does coma error affect the whole image this way or just the extremities making the Photoshop action create a new distortion?

Thanks

post-15720-133877519229_thumb.jpg

post-15720-133877519234_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Geoff:

Glad you posted this! I wasn't aware of this Photoshop capability, and will play with it on my SCT's images. I plan to use my C8 without a flattener/reducer in order to give the proper image scale for small targets, and I didn't know how I'd handle the resulting coma other than to try deconvolution or crop it out. Thanks!

-Joe

Archived