Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lightbox with Old laptop Screen

Kerrp30

First of all Thanks to YesYes for advice and his blog showing what to do. Blog Here:

yesyes astro blog Lightbox

Right got laptop and stripped the inverter card out along with the Screen. Not got down to the splitting the screen and the backlight out yet.

The laptop is a HP pavillion dv8000.

The screen is a LG Phillips LP171WX2(A4)(K9) which is fine and I can find a datasheet for my issue is the Inverter, SPS-403831-001 IN/B

. Going to take the input cable to the inverter out the laptop as well.

Might just power it up and use a dvm to measure what is on the pcb. Need a power supply for it now!!

1&2, 6&7 are joined together. Suspect that is 12v and ground. 5 is n/c 3 and 4 are signal pins as thin tracks.

Will look for more numbers on the pcb tonight.

The only other things I can see on the PCB are YEO YNV-C03, E131735 & 6001720L-B

Here are a couple of pictures

49067d1295281661t-bored-enough-make-lightbox-bottom.jpg

49068d1295281661t-bored-enough-make-lightbox-tops.jpg

Right got the thing up and running

Pin1 & 2 are Supply and 6 & 7 are the return 19V accross them.

Pin 3 Changes from 1.0V to 3.3V (1.0V being dull and 3.3V being max brightness)

Pin 4 stays the same at 3.0V.

I suspect Pin 4 is the on/off signal.

As you say wire to the pads gets rid of the connector fiddly bits. I will then need to split the light from the screen. Mine was never as bright as your picture. My plan is to get the IC device and look at the datasheet it will tell me how high I can take the inputs. The PCB looks like it only has caps/resistors, the IC and a transformer.

Maybe can get it brighter. The screen looks evenly lit. Does the brightness matter or is it the even distribution of light?

Forgot to say Pin 5 had half a volt on it regardless of what I did. Will probably leave floating as it is not connected on the PCB.Just goes to a pad with no via so no way of getting that to go anywhere.

Just cut and pasted all my bits and findings sorry for the long post

Will fill in more as I find out especially about the IC and what its limits are.

I expect the Pin 3 voltage varies the output to the backlight in terms of voltage or changes the pulse width of the HV signal possibly. Once I know the chip I will be better placed to say.

I will also take pics as I go along.

Paul

Further news hooked up a car battery to the laptop screen and inverter. Created a 12V to 3.3V regulator using a LT1963A linear technology regulator. Hooked the +3.3V to pins 3 & 4.

Backlight comes on. Now going to strip down the backlight and get it protected with a clear sheet. Will post more pictures as I do them.

Paul

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys.

Do either of you have a good resource for data sheets for inverters?

I can find ones for all the ones I had my eye on but not the one I've got.

I've tried all the usual haunts.

It's a CP030346-02 which PC Hub have in (and I've emailed them) but I can't find the data sheet :eek:

Looked at as many of the data sheet websites i can find too.

Any I've missed would be good to know. :rolleyes:

I usually just type the part number in Google. If I find a datasheet, fine. If not, I just look at the inverter board. It's relatively easy to work out what's Ground and 12V. These usually use more than 1 pin each and have wide tracks on the PCB. There is usually an electrolytic capacitor across 12V and GND. That would show you which is which (12V or GND). Then I just take my purpose built power supply , start with 2Volt and apply that to all combinations of the remaining pins. Usually you need 2 other pins. One 'enables' the lamp and the other is brightness. If that doesn't start the lamp, I repeat with 3V and then 5V.

Archived