Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dangerous path

I agree with Michael above. 6" will not give you much more than the 130. I have a C8 with no Goto. I started off with zero knowledge of the night sky but have found my way to 100+ objects up there with a £20 star atlas. I originally was going to go for a C6 Goto, but was persuaded that the extra 2" aperture was the better investment over the electronics. For me, it was a good choice. Finding stuff is easy enough as long as you have a good map and the patience to do it (with a little bit of contortionist ability thrown in :)). It's your call, though. If you are likely to get into imaging, then you may want a Goto so that you can spend less time finding and more time getting pictures. It's all about what you want to do with it.

Personally, I was put off the SE series because of the lack of manual override on the mounts. If your batteries go or your motor packs up, you have no way of using the telescope. At least if that happens with mine, I can disconnect the motor and go back to manual.

At the end of the day, it has to be your choice. Ask 20 different people and you will get 20 different replies.

Rachel

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rob - it's always tempting to get a bigger telescope but it is still really useful to have a small scope, even 'when' you eventually get a bigger one. There are always things a small scope can show that a biggun can't plus they are good quick-look scopes for when your viewing time is limited for whatever reason. So if you do keep the 130, remember it will still come in handy even if you buy the hubble space telescope later on ! :)

Even with a 66mm frac & a 13 inch, I still feel a yearning for a 6 inch scope.

No matter what you get, you will be happy and sad.

.................. then sell it, and for the rest of your life wish you hadn't.

Phil

This is SO TRUE ! :):o:):):(:) (I sold my girlfriend and regretted it almost instantly:D)

Archived