Need help for eyepices for a 200mm DOB

Hello again.I am thinking of buying a 200/1200 DOB .I have been looking at some eyepieces and I need some advice for them.First-are Baader and TS any good?is it ok to start with 3 eyepieces- 10-12mm WA ,25-30 mm WA and a 3-6mm?I will have a barlow too.And do all filters have threads on both sides? :)

I'd get the scope 1st and have a go with the supplied eyepieces. You will need 2 accessories from the start - a good star map / guide to the night sky and a collimating tool such as the Cheshire eyepiece. You could easily invest as much as the scope costs on a few eyepieces so you want to make sure you know where your interests lie and using the scope for a bit will help there.

Totally agree with John, enjoy your scope first, find out what objects you enjoy looking at the most, if you find out it's lunar and the planets , then maybe invest in some good quality higher magnification eyepieces. On the other hand if DSO's rock your boat invest first in some good quality widefield eyepieces.

Go with the EPs that are supplied until you have done some viewing, they will be a 10mm and 25mm plus a x2 Barlow,,,,,,they will not be the best but good enough to get started, plus you will need a chesire for collimatina as already stated.

the only additional EP I would get is maybe a 30mm or 40mm.

If you do go the Dob route than llok at some of the Mods you can do they are in the Dob group in Communities, some good advice there abot Setting circles.

Hi, you have listed a 3-6mm eyepiece for higher magnification. I think I'd avoid

much above a 6mm (200x) until you are certain you will need it.

I find an 8mm (150x) with my main scope, much more useful more often for high

power.

Many, including myself, use low and medium power more than high power.

Best regards, Ed.

Archived