NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Saturn storm 16th Jan 2011

chrisrnuttall

Hello

Here are two drawings of Saturn from this morning.

Conditions were terrible, and any sane person would have stayed in bed, but I have got up early only to be thwarted by the weather for every presentation of this storm on Saturn's CM since I first (and last) observed it on 23rd December, so when I could see the odd star through the clouds I decided to have a go.

It was very windy and the sky was full of fast-moving broken cloud, but between telescope vibrations and clouds, I did get enough of a view to make these drawings.

In drawing 1 the NtrZ is pale and bright, its right hand half is brighter still - about the same brightness as ring B's outer edge. This is the main storm and is the source of the bright material spreading away to the left.

When I last observed this storm it was easily the brightest feature on the planet by a couple of points, but it was smaller and the NtrZ was still yellow around it. It has clearly spread out since.

In drawing 2, the 'tail' of bright material has set and the main bright area has crossed the CM, its following edge is quite well defined and the zone is yellowish following it.

Note, no detail was seen in the storm as conditions were too bad, in fact ring C could not be seen either.

post-17454-133877518573_thumb.jpg

post-17454-133877518582_thumb.jpg

Archived