NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looking for some viewing tips! :)

Hello SGL!

While I have always been fascinated by Astronomy I haven't been using a Telescope for many years (just keeping up with the news on the latest findings).

That's all changed now. I have a Skywatcher 8" NR which I can't help but grin like a school boy at Christmas every time I see it. :D

I took her out for first light a few nights ago (the only opportunity/clear night I've had). My first target was the Moon which looked amazing as you might expect. I then moved my attention to Jupiter. I had never seen the giant with such clarity. However, I was let down by my attempts to get focus through a 2x Barlow on a 10mm EP.

So, is it me or am I trying to get in too close? Is the Barlow of poor quality with Skywatcher 'scopes? What would you all recommend for great Jupiter viewing with the equipment I have? Would you recommend investing in other EPs? I'd love to know what would give me the best view of Jupiter with the scope I have.

I'm planning on Orion next, any tips?

Sorry for all the questions, but you all have a reputation for being very helpful!

Thank you in advance! :icon_eek:

Hi and welcome to SGL.

Viewing Jupiter at higher powers can be challenging sometimes due to seeing conditions, ie atmospheric turbulence etc. It can almost look like looking through running water.

Many observers opt to observe at 100x to 150x as it is better to have a smaller but sharper view, but when seeing conditions are good you can up the magnification. My advice is to experiment with the different eyepieces that you have and see which gives the best results.

Jupiter is still quite low in the sky and that affects how clearly it can be seen. Also, the supplied skywatcher 10mm e/p is not great and geenrally, 5mm = mag of 240 which is although theoretically well within the limit of your scope, taking all other factors into account is probably pushing it a bit. i find that above about 150x Jupiter dopes not reveal any more detail (but ymmv of course)

.... i find that above about 150x Jupiter does not reveal any more detail (but ymmv of course)

Thats how I find it as well - it's much better to have a lower power, but crisper image.

You will possibly find that the 10mm eyepiece on it's own delivers a more satisfactory image although the standard 10mm eyepieces supplied with scopes don't have a great reputation to be honest. Ditto for the barlow lenses supplied.

Thanks everyone. I may have been pushing it a bit too far with the 10mm on a 2x Barlow.

I intend to replace the supplied EPs, assuming they aren't the best but I'm in no hurry to. The view through the 10mm (no Barlow) was lovely and crisp, I just wanted to pull it in bit to comfortably see that detail. Would an acceptable 8mm EP do that, in theory giving me ~20% more magnification?

For what it's worth the 'scope is offering some great clarity so far (although a little small in the case of Jupiter) - The barlow seems to be a bit of a let down though. I say 'seems' because it really could just be me! :icon_eek:

I'm just waiting for some clear skies at night now...

Again, thank you everyone!

The supplied barlow is probably ok for the ep's you have.

The seeing and atmosphere will cause more problems than your kit will until you are getting every last ounce out of it I would hold back from lavishing the cash (unless of course you are loaded!!!)

When you do decide to upgrade something start with the 10mm ep first as this is probably your weakest link and then one thing at a time when you reach a limit.

Cheers

As said by other, all too often the air limits the view far more than the scope.

Without meaning to sound like a showoff and risking rebuke here. The other night I was trying to observe (and photograph) Jupiter. The kit was more 'up market' than the SW 200 package. I had exactly the same resolution problems.

There are though a few good days where the money spent looks worthwhile.

If my chosen target doesn't work out because of the air, I just move on to something less demanding.

I totally agree that your 10mm EP is probably the weak link in your chain. I have one of these that I rarely use. Fortunately this is replaceable at moderate cost.

Hope these comments are encouraging.

David.

unless of course you are loaded!!!

Sadly not! I think my enthusiasm might be running away with me. I should remember from youth that Astronomy quickly divorces fun when patience plays away :D

Thanks all for your tips. It's reassuring to know more about the difficulties of observing certain objects. Atmospheric clarity, temperature equalisation of the tube, EP used etc... so many variables, so much to learn. :icon_eek:

Appreciated everyone! What a great response from a great forum.

Archived