NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

EQ5 Upgrade

sbooder

Hi All,

Has anyone got the SynScan PRO GOTO Version 3 Upgrade Kit for EQ5?

I would like to know if it was worth the upgrade or not please?

To save people the trouble of offering advice of why not upgrade to an EQ6 of HEQ5, it is a budget thing.

I fitted the upgrade to an EQ5 and a Vixen GP. Fitting to the EQ5 was a dead easy job really and the system worked well on the whole. It's a bit messy looking compared to other GOTO systems with boxes here and cables everywhere. Doesn't look very integrated. But it did work well and the motors are the same as fitted to the HEQ5 and EQ6. They sound very nice and move effortlessly at full slew.

Sometimes the system would through a complete wobbly and refuse to align....no idea why. Which was frustrating.

Thanks Russ, just what I was looking for. I notice on add pics of the set up the control box seems to hang to the side of the mount. Did you find a way to lengthen the cable so it could hang under a tripod or attach to a pedestal?

Archived