long or short focal lenth

650 mm (25.59 in)

this is the stats from my scope ,ive tried searching but i have no idea as i would like to try my hand at imaging soon and ive been reading up and im bit confused is long focal lenth better for planets . as i have no idea about whats long or short

thx star

Whats the aperture?

Actually what is the scope and the mount?

650mm isn't a lot to go on.

If the scope has a dia of 130 then it is f/5 if 90mm then f/7.2 if 70mm then f/9.2

If you are thinking of imaging then be prepared for expense.

aperture 130mm(5.12in) focal lenth 650mm(25.58in) focal ratio 5 mount eq (md)

ok this is the full specs sry to be a pain and keep asking. but just as i think im starting to understand something well i realize that im not .

i would like to use webcam laptop for imaging our solar system first.

thx again star

It's a bit short really for the planets (but I'm using a 600mm refractor), you'll need to use, a barlow as said, you could stack them up (barlow's multiply so 2, 2x barlows is 4x) or use a couple of tubes to move the camera away from the barlow to increase the image scale. This has the benefit of not adding any more glass to the system.

The f/5 means it's good for deep sky type imaging, but that has it's own pitfalls and can be a lot more expensive.

You don't mention what mount you have the scope on, which makes it tricky to advise on what you might be able to get out of it.

thx for the replys i was looking to try taking pics of dso untill i see the price so im gonna start this way and see where it goes.do you think this scope will be ok for lunar/planets.because i always wanted a scope and just bought this one drunk (spur of the moment thing)but now i have it hey why not have a go :)

i have the celestron astromaster130eq/md

AstroMaster 130EQ-MD (Motor Drive) Telescope (item #31051) / AstroMaster Series Telescopes / Telescopes / Products / Celestron.com

and thx again star

I'm not sure how accurate the motor is for tracking, give it a try and see, you may find you'll be surprised. I think long term, the tracking of the mount may get challenging, but it's defo worth a shot. The drives on my NexStar SLT was pretty good for shortish exposures on Deepsky.

F5 is fast.

A focal length of 650 is short.

As that stands you have a good optical spec for long exposure deep sky imaging, not planetary.

But no worries, a Barlow or two or Powermate (expensive) will take your effective focal length up to 2 or 3 or more x the native 650. I would start at 2x to learn the ropes.

In webcam imaging you don't need good tracking, really, because in a sense you add the tracking at the end. You stack a thousand or more images in Registax (free) and the software aligns and then combines them, correcting any drift on the mount that way.

For deep sky imaging you do need a very accurate mount and a lot of other stuff. Start with a lottery win if possible...

Olly

Archived