Binocular advice for a total newbie

hi folks,

Watched the 'stargazing live' programmes last week and decided now that rather than shell out a load of money on a telescope, to begin with i'd like to get a decent pair of binoculars. Ive got an app for my iphone which has 3D star layouts etc and ive been out looking at some constellations (big dipper & orion) over the last few nights.

I dont want to spend any more than £50 really but i havent got a clue what im looking for. Ideally id like a pair light enough to hold but i want some decent views of constellations etc so any pointers and recommendations would be much appreciated

hello, you may also wish to a lightweight photograhers tripod and an adaptor for binoculars something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hama-Star-Tripod-free-Carry/dp/B000EOMQM2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1294679446&sr=1-3 and this 7dayshop Binocular Adapter - DELIVERY INCLUDED - UK'S: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics as to binoculars my local lidl shop has some binoculrs still in stock at £15 I am sure that your local shop probably has as well these seem to get fair reviews for cheap binoculars

I have a pair of the 10x50 Rocktrails with Bak 4 prisms that Lidl sell. They give pin sharp views of the stars and moon.

However, I recently purchased a pair of the 10-30x60 zoom binos by the same manufacturer form Lidl. I didn't expect much in view of the price but I thought I'd try them. After having to take the first pair back as they were seriously out of line, the second pair didn't seem too bad. However, having had them three weeks they now seem to need collimating every time I use them. The view through them at 10x is also not as crisp as the 10x50s. This may be because they use Bak 7 prisms instead of the Bak 4 prisms in the 10x50s. So I wouldn't recommend the zoom version of the Rocktrails.

Be aware that your arms will quickly tire from holding binoculars. When you use them to look at things on the ground, rather than in the sky, you can support your arms against your chest. When you point them upwards you don't have that ability any more. (As a quick test, see how long you can hold your arms out before they get tired. Now imagine you have the extra weight of binoculars in them - and you're trying to hold them steady).

It's not so apparent when looking in daylight, but at night the slightest movement in the binoculars causes the stars to leave "trails" in your vision as they move around. You will soon realise that you need a means to hold them steady, if you want more than a couple of seconds looking at the Moon. If you look at buying a tripod for them, be aware that a tripod that only comes up to eye-height is no good. That will only let you see things in the horizontal. To see things directly above you (the highest point) will need a tripod about a foot taller than you are - most won't reach that high and the ones that do will be quite wobbly. Then you'll find that you get neck-ache from standing with your head pointing upwards. Better to get a picnic chair or recliner and a shorter tripod - so you're more comfortable, laying back looking up at the stars

I have owned a number of sets of bins since beginning observing and although any bins will improve your view (assuming they are of average quality or better) I really feel that a pair of 15x70s totally transforms what you can see. OK they are heavier and you need a support of some kind but I did even with 10x50s for the reasons stated already (I'm a strapping 6'3" ex rugby player) surrounding fatigue but in partic. steadiness of image.

this support can be achieved in a number of ways from sitting/laying in a sun lounger, on your back on a half filled inflatable mattress or even using rubber cord to hold your bins on a soft broom head. personally I use a monopod with a pistol grip head, some use a tripod.

I am not sure what the price is now but Celestron - Celestron Skymaster 15x70 were previously £49 and come up used every now and again. Many people use them and love them.

Good luck with your choices, I think you are doing the right thing with your budget.

A second vote for the Celestron Skymasters (15x70) great pair of bins and with practice you`ll be picking out objects with ease - I found Andromeda last night and I am in urban Basildon (Essex) - it wasn`t super clear but it was there and seeable with my bins.. recommended.

Archived