NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Can't find Jupiter's GRS

I used Stellarium and other Great Red Spot transit calculators online and I know for a fact that the Red Spot was visible during the time I took this image. I can see other details on the planet, so it confuses me why the red spot isn't clearly shown (it actually can be seen, but it's very faint. Look on the right side of the SEB). I've seen some images that clearly showed the spot, but were lacking in other surface details. Anyone have any tips?

jupiterf.jpg

I used a Celestron NexStar 4SE with NexImage to take a 2 minute video and RegiStax to edit the image.

What time did you take the picture? I was observing between about 7pm and 10pm and saw pretty much what you saw. The GRS is one the other side of the planet 50% of the time and so isn't always visible. You may just have to wait for a night when it's on the side of the planet facing us, but when it's there, it's really obvious due to the missing SEB :)

I took the picture at 7:00, I believe. I found out that it was centered on the planet at 7:30PM, and I'm sure I captured the spot, but it's very hard to see. If I overexpose the image, you can see a red circle, but just barely.

I couldn't see it last night either. And I was looking at the same time as you roughly. My image (posted earlier) does not show it either, at least not clearly it may be barely detectable - not sure. Maybe it's a matter of using filters to improve contrast and bring out the GRS. Good article here: --> The Use of Filters . Maybe the #21 Orange filter would bring good results? Or one of the yellows?

d

Archived