black dot?

hi guys, happy new year to you all,just about made it throught the party season unscathed!.anyway, our 102mm mak arrived and the kids and i have had a ball observing the waxing moon. jupiter looked pretty good also, but for a black spot in the centre of the image which is not there in daylight or while observing the moon. have 10 and 25mm eyepieces and a 2x barlow, the spot is present with both 10 and 25mm eyepieces.i think this is a focusing issue question is if i get a 6.5mm eyepiece will this eliminate the spot.focal lenght of the tube is 1300.or am i way of track here.any advice wuold be greatly appreciated.thanks ben.:)

Nope. There weren't any transits this evening.

Not even of moons the size of Neptune? May not be known to science yet :)

As you can see, I have nothing at all productive to add to this thread and I'm afraid I can shed no real light (or shade...) on the cause of this spot - I'll get me coat.

Are you allowing all your equipment to cool down sufficiently before using it?

I have the 127 Mak and I get a similar problem when I don't allow my eyepieces to cool down enough before using them. If I take them outside and start to use them straight away, they fog up a little and the secondary mirror (at least I think that's what it is) cast's it's shadow on the fogged lens in the eyepiece. It is definitely more noticeable when viewing stars or planets as opposed to the moon. It's the only explanation I've come up with. Of course it might not be the correct one but the problem seems to disappear if I allow everything to cool down for at least half an hour before viewing.

Archived