a bit of advice please

hi im currently looking at buying a scope . after reading through a couple of books / the help of the internet i know what to look out for when buying a scope . but i need help on the other items ill need.

such as a sky chart ect ?

so what other items will i need to get started and were will i get them from .cheers dan

My advice is get a warm hat, especially if you are bald, and a flask for a warm drink and if observing away from home (darkish site) then a lightweight (portable) chair which you can sit on to look through your scope.

Welcome to SGL.

Bob :)

:D should be sorted then . as i mentioned in my welcome post ill be doing most of my observing whilst on 24-48 c a r p fishing sessions

most locations are very dark with next to no light pollution .

Hi Supernova2514,

If your just starting out I'd suggest getting a planisphere and a pair of binoculars. Lidl occasionally do a decent pair of 10x50 for not much. mine cost me £10-£15 and were good until my son broke them.

What you'll see through them is more than the naked eye. I know it came as a shock when I went looking through them for the first time.

As for telescopes, advice from Turn Left at Orion. "The best telescope is one that get used." There's no point in buying one if it to heavy or complicated to setup and use. I think the guy mentions about his pal that bought a 8" Newtonian and compared it to his 3" refractor. Guess what one got taken out more?

Hi from me too - the accessories you'll need whatever you buy are warm cloths, solid boots and a red light torch.

The rest depends on what scope you but - so for a refellector you'll need a dew shield and a collimator tool, for a Maksutov or SCT type scope you'll probably need a dew shield and a heater band plus power supply and maybe a heater controller, a refractor will need very little.

A planisphere is handy unless you are buying a scope with GoTo and some would say whether the scope is GoTo or not as they make a handy reference.

:) should be sorted then . as i mentioned in my welcome post ill be doing most of my observing whilst on 24-48 c a r p fishing sessions

most locations are very dark with next to no light pollution .

I got my 15x70 bins to take to lakes with me while c a r p fishing, stick them on a tripod and stargaze while watching the water for that 40lb common:cool:

I got my 15x70 bins to take to lakes with me while c a r p fishing, stick them on a tripod and stargaze while watching the water for that 40lb common:cool:

cool isnt it mate i love just chilling out while fishing watching the sky i have a nice set of binos that i take with me aswell . but with the nights being so long at the min i have been doing a bit of research on what scope to buy . also thanks to the members that posted the stellarium site on this thread im amazed . no more looking up wondering what im actualy looking at got it all set for my home and satelites turned on watched one go up the screen looked out of the room window with binos and sure enough there it was amazing cheers :)

I agree - Planishpere, Stellarium, and TLAO will get you going nicely. Sky charts a great idea too. Warm clothes and boots a must. And take a small camping stove, kettle and mug when out in the field - a hot cuppa makes a world of difference. Fingerless gloves I find very useful!

If your scope is motorised you'll need a battery pack - maplins do some great 17ah ones at less than a third of the price of branded packs - make sure you have a decent length connecting cable.

Which scope (make/model) will you go for? :)

Archived