NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

SKY WATCHER 130

Hello,

i have been offered a Telescope and as this is a second scope, first one cost me peanuts.

SKY WATCHER 130 telescope, 130mm reflector with star information pack and books, heavy duty extendable tripod with tray, EQ2 motor drive corrector with battery pack and 2 x eyepieces.

I have also looked at the celestron 130, but as a novice it gets more confusing the more i read up, so thought i would make my first post and get some advice before parting my hard earned cash.

Thanks in advance,

Tony

The 130 is a good scope for a beginner, its well made, has good optics. Its better made in many ways than the Celestron equivalent.

If I had to choose between the SKywatcher and the Celestron version I'd take the skywatcher everytime.

Heres why;

1 it has much thinner metal spider vanes versus celestrons horrible thick plastic ones

2 collimation is far easier on the skywatcher because it's secondary mirror holder is much better designed.

3 what celestron are pleased to call a finder scope is horrible, dreadful plastic thing moulded on the end of the scope, skywatcher fit a passable red dot finder that works quite well and the scope has proper accessory shoe so you can change finders if you want with minimal fuss.

4 celestron mount is spindly, wobbly and full of plastic, it looks hi tech in pics but in actual fact is horrible. The skywatcher mount is ok, not the best but far better than the celestron one.

5 style, the skywatcher looks like a baby telescope, its made to a price as a starter scope and does it very well. The celestron feels like a toy it's got so much plastic in it.

many people start off with skywatchers. suppose it depends how much you are paying and the condition of the scope. also, there is a 130 and a 130P with the "P" being slightly better mirror. if you are buying secondhand you need to know a little to ensure you are not getting a lemon. do you have any specific questions?

Welcome to SGL Tony !,

As a bit of browsing around the forum will show, the Skywatcher 130 is a very popular scope for those starting out in the hobby. Personally I think it's better than the Celestron equivalent although not as "glitzy".

As a guide to pricing, they start at around £120 new:

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130

Agreed - you'd have to be sure the seller has looked after it, hasnt done anyting daft like clean the mirrors with brasso, the scope works and has no missing parts.

It also assumes its a fair price. A fair price second hand in good nick would be about £120 if its newish and its the 150PM model in good condition in as new shape.

£120 would be fair but not great, I'd aim around £90-£100 for a good deal.

Blimey, now i've got things to think about, he requires £95 for this so is online with the comments, i wish i could get a bgger scope but the wife is watching me, like a hawk so i am looking round the £100 area, not a lot i know i the scheme of things.

Just want to get a reasonable scope that i don't have to upgrade next week.

Celestron is a blow out now,so that has helped instantly. i have emailed the person to get more details.

£95 on your doorstep wouldnt be a bad deal, you could sell it on for that most likley so long as its all complete and working.

The eyepieces it comes with are not exactly award wi8nning but they arent half as bad as some people would suggest, certainly usable to get you going and the 130 is a fine telescope. I seriously doubt many people max them out because most just decide thay are loving it and upgrade.

The 130P is a great scope, whatever you buy you will want to upgrade and if cash is tight it would be hard to suggest a better scope for the money.

ps if its on ebay and you want someone to take a peek PM me and I'll go have a look - I am absolutely not in the market for a 130 so you know I wouldnt bif against you on this.

Well, just a little update i picked the Skywatcher 130 up today all works perfectly and included was 2 planisheres and phillips book so plenty read aswell.

Went to a meeting with like minded people this evening and managed to see the moon and Jupiter and it's 4 moons, so really pleased with the advice from this forum and happy with me new toy.

Archived