Sony Nex-3 first pic Oriions belt thing

This photo was taken with a sony nex standard 18-55 lens attached to my window sil looking out the window. Because of this image i bought a Celestron NexStar 130 SLT yesterday cause i now want to see more.

Any tips on astrophotography welcome, i do alot of amature photography anyway and the best way to learn is FAIL FAST FAIL OFTEN. I have read that the scope i bought isnt particularly suited to photography but am willing to try considering what can be done looking out of a window.

orionsbelt.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looking out through a window throws up a couple of issues:

- window glass is not so good optically.

- heat currents in the room will affect the image.

The general recommendation is to view / image outside for best effect.

Nice shot though and congrats on the scope purchase.

PS: Can I suggest that you reduce the image size when posting it in a thread - large ones sort of mess up the screen layout for the reas of the thread I think !

I'm interested to see how you get on with this camera, as I've been considering getting one as a lighter alternative to the 1000d.

The camera is superb if your like me and dont want to spend shed loads of money and dont want to get to technical.

I will wait for the telescope to come before i start spending more money on the attachments for the camera. I want to see how good the scope is, if i dont like it you will see it on ebay.

Oh yes just looked at the Thread title putting 2 "i"s in Orion what a div

Have you got much normal day time use out of it? The lack of flash is something that's putting me off this camera though.

Actually how small is it? Is it small enough to put in your pocket like Sony say?

You actually get a Flash with it, it clips onto the top of the camera then secured by a turn screw. I have taken loads of photos with it i have posted alot of them on flickr.com. Use the Search for "Glowingsplint" my user name to check them out.

I am even more impressed with the videos you can take with the thing. I have a video of my Dad paragliding taken with the camera uploaded to youtube YouTube - Paragliding on Screel 28/11/2010 make sure you click HD.

As for the size its tiny, really light weight but with the big lens on it makes you wish there was a way of making the lenses smaller. But they havent found away of doing that yet

Archived