NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Planets and a 10" dob?

Oh I wasnt expecting hubble, I am expecting better than my current 4.5 inch scope though :). Will more than the big 4 moons of jupiter be visible?

No - just the 4, even with a 10". You might see some more detail in the cloud belts though - although the giant planet is now past it's best, this time around.

Try Saturn - 5-6 moons visible with a 10" there :D

Well its a nice step up in aperture Manok, from my limited experience it was quite a nice surprice when I upraded from a 6" to my current 9.25. I have certainly had better views of objects I have observed. Now the thing is, I wonder what a 12 or 14 would be like? :)

Alan

I want to be able to see as much as I can, thanks for the help. Will I be able to see all of the Messier objects? I'd also like to see some of the NGC objects as well.

Good question. If you are able to get to some dark location then yes probably, some of these objects are a bit tricky to get due their light output and distance. you will get some NCG's but how many I'm not sure there's plenty of them out there!:)

Let us all know how you get on, a lot of people list what they have seen on their signature. Might start doing mine as well.:D

You can certainly see all the Messier objects from dark location with a 10", you could so with a 6" too for that matter. After all, Messier and Mechain did it over 200 years ago with 4".

There are a good number of bright NGC objects that revival what's in the Messier catalogue. A 10" is ample to see these.

Archived