SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

HA with DSLR?

astroimpulse

The forum won't search 'HA' because it's too small so i thought I'd ask ;)

Is it acceptable to use a DSLR to take HA lights? ie. Take the colour lights and then do some HA with the chosen filter?

I've seen images with HA added (CCD) and they add so much it's unbelievable.

Will a DSLR treat the HA captures correctly? I can't see why not but then again...I could be completely wrong and it would be an expensive mistake to buy the filters :)

Many thanks :eek:

EDIT: Camera will be fully modded :D

Ah, yes...forgot to add it will be fully modded...good spot :)

I realise it will need a filter (see post), hence why I'm asking the question in case I waste money ;)

They're expensive but from images I've seen they well justify their price.

If it's totally acceptable method (using a DSLR) then I'm as happy as a bunny (are they actually happy? Do we know? :eek:)

Yup... Santa bought me a 2" 7nm Ha filter this year, so hoping to try that with my 450D soon.

As Ha is basically red, you just extract the red channel from the data (there will be nothing in the G or B I don't think) and use that as the monochrome Ha.

The bayer matrix required for OSC means signal:noise will be worse than with a mono CCD but it works nonetheless.

Jordan

Archived