NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

cg5 help newbie reach the stars and his dreams

I finally bought a mount, its a cg5 and i need help using it. I tried to point the mount towards the north. Then i went for solar system align and picked jupiter. The scope seemed like it was going there just fine then it went so far to one side to where it wouldn't go any more, what do i do, flip the mount completely around or change a setting it the controller? Please help i have not had schooling like most people, and am not the smartest pee in the pod!:eek: I need a cg5 go to tutorial with pics, can any one help me please. I would also like to no how to just make it move slow by itself any way i want for milky way shots. Thanks for all your help the people on here know who im talking about if it wasn't for the good peeps on this forum i would be lost.

Well i think i half way figured it out. The scope goes to stuff perfect if it is on one side of the meridian, but when object is on the other side of the meridian i have to change the goto approach items in the controller, but i would still appreciate any help on learning how to use this mount correctly thanks.......

Hi Tim - to find the pole star use the Plough constellation - the two end stars of the pan point at the pole. Do you have a polar scope in the mount? It's much more accurate using one. To change the rate of slewing with arrow keys you just press the "Rate" button (button 11) and then press a number 1-9. Six or seven will slow it down nicely for eye piece centering. :eek:

Also - it's difficult to explain general use of the handset here as I'd need to write as much as in the instruction booklet. If you don't have one it can be downloaded from the Celestron website.

http://www.celestron.com/c3/images/files/downloads/1196122269_cg5mount9151791.pdf

Otherwise it's best to join a nearby astro society and someone will talk you through using it. If you have a specific thing you need to know about it then ask here by all means :eek:

Thanks for the reply's man! So when i do finally figure this mount out will it be able to go to jupiter and after i do a solar system align and track it perfectly, (hands off)? I managed to get it to work pretty good on jupiter my last try, to keep jupiter centered though i had to make a small adjustment every once in a while.

Archived