Orion SkyQuest XT6 Classic Dobsonian Telescope

hello all i have just joined and would like to say hi to everyone . I have just joined this site and have read lots of informative posts in the beginners topic . I have been interested in astronomy for a number of years now and have recently decided to buy a telescope to get more involvement from my budding hobby .

I have looked every where for a peice of equipment that would suit my rank and budget and i always seem to end up with the desire to buy the orion skyquest xt6 classic dobsonian . I would be grateful if anyone could tell me whether this is a wise enough telescope to go for . The only thing i've found with this particular series of scopes is there are not many uk sites that stock them . I have found one or two uk sites retailing at approx £230-£250 and most us sites are $279 i would prefer to buy from the uk in the hope that the shorter transit time would lower the risk of damage

I will continue to read the posts in the beginner topics and appreciate any comments to my post . Rory

Hi thanks for your reply . yes i chose this as my cousin has the skyquest x8 and cant speak highly enough about it , i would prefer the xt6 for easier mobility . I will certainly look into the skywatcher after your suggestion thank you

The Orion XT6 and the Skywatcher Skyliner 150 and both made by the company Synta so they most probably have the same mirrors.

See the Skywatcher here Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

At £179 it's the same scope as the XT6 for £50 less. Use that to buy a Rigel Quikfinder or Telrad which will make using the Dob a lot easier.

I too have an Orion and am very happy with my XT10i

The Orion XT6 and the Skywatcher Skyliner 150 and both made by the company Synta so they most probably have the same mirrors.

See the Skywatcher here Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 150P Dobsonian

At £179 it's the same scope as the XT6 for £50 less. Use that to buy a Rigel Quikfinder or Telrad which will make using the Dob a lot easier.

I too have an Orion and am very happy with my XT10i

Thank you for that link , it looks like a bargain

I got the XT8 intellisense and I can recommend Orion. However I found out Skywatcher is basically the same and, given the price difference in Europe, I'll get a Skywatcher when I upgrade.

PS-> The price difference can be easily justified as Skywatcher gets the scopes made in China and ship them to Europe while Orion get's them made (presumably) in the same factories but then ship them to the US and finally to Europe, which implies extra shipping costs and taxes. As others said, the main company Synta owns both.

Archived