Something on my main mirror.

Manok101

Hi Manok,

Last winter my mirror looked dead grotty so I cleaned it in the summer using the tried and tested cotton wool/distilled water method. It also has a piece of the reflective coating missing about the size of a pea. To be honest, the mirror performs just the same as before I cleaned it. For example, I can still easily make out the E & F stars in the trapezium under good conditions as well as I could before. So my advice - leave it be.

Cheers, John.

I have seen the stuff you have described on my mirror and I still can see it to this day even after I good clean a few months ago and even a Hilux re-coating from OO on the house.

I assume it is either just slight imperfections in the reflective coatings or just a thin layer of dust that has settled on the surface that doesn't want to blow away, either way I don't think affects the views I get at all but I agree it can look quite shocking when you shine a torch down the tube to have a look.

Archived