Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

I'm about to upgrade my Saddle, advice required.

merlinxlm

I'm about to upgrade my Saddle to this typeADM Guidescope Rings and systems - ADM Dual Saddle upgrade for HEq5 and EQ6 series mounts

plus ADM Guidescope Rings and systems - ADM Losmandy-style Dual Mounting Bar

as my imaging mounting system. Is it worth upgrading the dual mounting bar to the losmandy system, or is the Std ADM Guidescope Rings and systems - ADM Vixen-type Dual Mounting Bar

strong enough for a couple of APO's side by side. How is the quality of these systems, as I have never actually seen one?

Thank you for looking.

Hi Kev,

Is your set up the Std Vixen or is it the Losmandy-style Dual Mounting Bar?

Have you upgraded the Sadle to the ADM Dual Saddle setup? Or are you using the Std SW type?

Thank you.

I'm using the standard vixen saddle on the NEQ6 and then the ADM SBS vixen clamps. This is supporting a Canon 600mm f4L prime lens (approx 5.5kg) and a Canon 5DMkII (approx 1kg) on one side.On the other side is a simple ST80 and QHY5 guide camera.

It's not a significantly heavy setup but I cannot detect any flexing in the metalwork.

If I was designing the ADM system this is probably what I would of made, based on 30 years of manipulator design in the nuclear industry, the only potential improvement would be using steel over aluminimum but that would give a weight increase for a marginal improvement if the setup was very heavily loaded.

I use the ADM vixen SBS bar and it's held everything I've thrown at it so far, really nice bit of kit. If you haven't already, also look into getting the ADM dovetails as they would keep the rigidity of the bar right up to the tube rings.

Tony..

I have a similar device and do use it. The only thing is, though, that the way my ADM clamp holds a Vixen rail is less that totally convincing. It gave me a scare once with a payload of over ten grand on board. As I say, I use it but really get the clamps tight and then tighter. I won't change the setup in the dark either. The issue is that the ADM does not clamp all the way up the Vixen wedge but grips only the bottom half.

Olly

Archived