upside down image

Hello everyone i know this may sound stupid and i know it is correct but on my 6" helios the image is upside down, the instruction book says some scopes are like this, my query is there a lens i can fit that will put the image the correct way up, also i have a 10mm and 25mm and a barlow x2 lenses giving me in theory 5mm and 12.5mm, as for viewing quality would it be better to buy a 5mm lense instead of using the barlow, or would nothing be achied viewing wise in doing this.

A decent 5mm eyepiece would cost a lot more than the Barlow/eyepiece combination that you have. A good eyepiece will give a better image - it just depends how much money you want to spend (as with most things astro-related!!).

The upside down image, as jahmanson says, is something you can learn to live with. The problem is that every time you put another piece of glass in the optical train it absorbs a little of the light, thus making the image dimmer. As most things we are looking at are pretty dim to start with it's best to live with the inverted image.

Thank you for the replies, i must admit that in time i will get used to objects being upside down, its not like in space you can tell if a star system is up or down, my scope is a 6" newtonian, ill stick with my present setup until i upgrade thank you heath:icon_salut:

Thank you for the replies, i must admit that in time i will get used to objects being upside down, its not like in space you can tell if a star system is up or down, my scope is a 6" newtonian, ill stick with my present setup until i upgrade thank you heath:icon_salut:

It gets more confusing with a refractor, maksutov or SCT scope where you use a 90 degree diagonal - the image is then the right way up but left and right are reversed :(

I've a mix of refractors and reflectors so switching between them in the same session can cause disorientation :)

You do get used to these things though :p

It gets more confusing with a refractor, maksutov or SCT scope where you use a 90 degree diagonal - the image is then the right way up but left and right are reversed :(

I've a mix of refractors and reflectors so switching between them in the same session can cause disorientation :)

You do get used to these things though :p

hi John

I totally agree with you on this and it was a factor in my decision to sell my refractor some time back and stick with two newts.

at least with a true upside down image you can just turn the star map upside down and it looks right. :D

cheers

Shane

Archived