Just A Few Minor Queries First. Please Help!

Just obtained the complete kit from local dealer via OVL for the Skywatcher-127 Synscan AZ GO-TO.

1. Where is the best place to attach my new scope to the mount? I am assuming somewhere so that it feels balanced. Is it really important as long as it is secure?

2. What is the screwdriver I was provided with for? Have a missed some adjustment process I need to complete?

3. What is the little rubber "O Ring" attached to the finderscope (6 x 30) bracket for?

4. I am a little concerned about the slight aesthetic damage to the main scope and finderscope casings from tightening and undoing the locking screws. Should I be? I am only using finger tightness!

5. Will my scope get water/dust internally when attaching and removing eyepieces etc. ?

Thanks, in anticipation of your kind help, from a telescope "virgin".

Q 1, It's best if it's balanced, less strain on the motors.

Q 3, The "O" ring on the finder is actually an essential part. It usually fits into

a groove on the tube, and sits in the forward end of the finder mount,

the other end to the adjustment screws, and prevents it moving around

and losing alignment.

Q 4, Unfortunately, marks on the dovetail are unavoidable, even if you dont

overtighten the screws.

Q 5, All telescopes are open to the outside air when changing eyepieces.

I wouldn't worry. Just fit a dustcap when the scope is being stored.

Hope someone can help with Q 2.

Best regards, Ed.

Thanks for your very quick reply Ed. Hopefully I can spend a bit more time in daylight (see my very 1st post in the Welcome subforum for my adventures so far) and get it set up correctly and with all the right components in the right place.

The screwdriver is probably for adjusting the secondary mirror. I'm guessing it's a Philips head, and will fit the big screw in the middle of the secondary? This adjustment is only something to do very rarely, luckily.

Yes it is a Philips head and thank goodness it's not something else I have missed doing. At the moment I would not attempt anything like that without good advice so I am so glad when you tell me it's a rare thing.

You two have cleared up my first few questions and it is much appreciated. I fear I will have many more in the weeks, days and months to come though. It's very comforting to know I have all of you out there to fall back on in times of need. And I don't doubt there will be lots of those.

Attach the tube as far forward on the mount as possible. The primary mirror at the back is heavier than the front section containing the secondary. By the time you add the diagonal and ep's it will be heavier still and more weight is extened backward altering the center of gravity.

Make sure the bolt that attaches the tubes dovetail bar to the mount is tight enough to stop the tube and attachments from sliding backwards or falling off. It needs to be very firm but not overtight.

Same thing for the bolt under the tripod. Make sure it is firm enough to hold the mount on the tripod nice and level without slipping, but not so much it becomes hard to undo.

Whenever you aren't changing ep's, or if you leave it unattended for a while, it's best to put a dust cap on any openings to stop dust falling on the diagonal's mirror. All light reflecting surfaces should be kept as clean as possible - same for ep's I allways put the caps on mine when not in use and never touch the lenses.

Hope that helps and congrats on a v.nice scope purchase :(

Archived