Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Gitzo G2180 fluid head

Hi,

Just got the Celestron 102 wideview and using my Horizon 8115 as the mount. I am considering the Gitzo G2180 fluid head to replace the Horizon head. I understand that with the Gitzo head properly adjusted, you point to the object and the the scope will stay in position without need to lock pan and tilt. I wonder if anyone can share their experience using it for astronomy. The Gitzo is primarily used by bird watchers.

Alan

The fluid system gives you some resistance when you are panning or tilting and is used mainly for video/film work to smooth out the movement. You still need to lock the head when you have positioned the telescope. Personally I would go for a 3 way geared tripod head but the G2180 should be ok.

edit unless the lens has a rotating mount you will be limited on framing your targets so one of the Manfrotto ball heads maybe better as it will give you that third axis of movement, this one works well http://www.warehouseexpress.com/buy-manfrotto-468mgrc2-hydrostatic-ball-head-with-rc2/p1006763

Apparently, you do not need to lock it when in position as scope can be balanced and with adjusting the right amount of friction on the pan and tilt, it should stay in position wherever you point it. I have seen it in use with a bird watching scope, but just wondered how well it would work for visual astro.

Thanks for the suggestion of the Manfrotto head, will look at that.

Alan

Archived