Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Stellarium - how do you invert the colours to print on a white background?

Martin-Devon

As you know the images on the screen with Stellarium are on a black background, and I want to zoom in & create my own star maps for observing sessions by inverting the colours so that I can print the screen shot with the stars as black points on a white background (otherwise my black ink cartridge will be used up very quickly).

I've found that Stellarium does have an invert mode - under Configuration, then Tools, where you can tick a box and enter a file path. However - even when this box is ticked, my screenshots (cut & pasted) are still as usual on a black background, and as yet, I have not found a way either to send the screen images to the file path entered.

I've tried cutting/pasting the screenshot image into Powerpoint, and this also allows you to view in reversed greyscale so the image looks like what I want - but when I then print this it comes out on a black background again!

So, any "idiots" guide to printing Stellarium images as black star points on a white background would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Set up as you have done with invert and select a file - then "ctrl S" will save an inverted screenshot to the file you have defined - no need to paste!. (I had to use a file within "My Pictures" as it would not save into "My Pictures" itself - if that makes sense!!)

Thanks Bizibilder - this works great. I'm sure others will find this useful as well. It's easy to flip the image as well in Stellarium so you see exactly the same orientation as through the eyepiece using the scope - so when the colours are then also inverted as described above and printed - it make a great detailed star map for a particular area you want to view at night.

This will work on any program, not just Stellarium. I use it on Redshift a lot.

1.Get the picture you want on the screen

2. Press the PRINT SCREEN button (usually a couple of buttons to the right of F12)

3. Open up PAINT program (go into the Windows program box and just type in paint. It's always on your PC)

4. Press CONTROL V to insert the picture into PAINT.

5. Save the file

6. Open the file in Photoshop

7. Press CONTROL I to invert the colours.

8. Da daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!

As Bizibuilder says, I would suggest you try Carte du Ciel. I find it much more professional. It's more functional and suited to 'serious' observing, rather than relying on flashy (and processor-hungry) graphics.

I would say that CdC and Stellarium compliment each other well. I use Stellarium at the computer to plan what I want to do and then CdC for printing finder charts (with Telrad circles etc)etc. When I eventually get a lappy for the observatory I will use CdC for driving the scope - I hope!

Archived