Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Satun's back...with spots!

Paul G. Abel

Greetings All!

Here is a drawing of Saturn I made on the morning of Friday 17th at 0449UT. This marked the end of my long cold observing session!

Saturn disk looks much the same as last years with various muted shades of colour and features, the NEB was probably the darkest feature on the disk. Also present was a white spot which is close to the proc. limb in the drawing below. There are a number of storms on Saturn at the moment, so it's woth getting up early to get a drawing of them!

Rings are much wider now, and I think we are in for an interesting apparition!

Best wishes,

-Paul.

Saturn_161210_PAbel-1.jpg

Thanks all!

We have three white spots on Saturn at the moment:

The first and most dramatic is to be found at CM3: 260. This is a very large spot, very rare and it seems to be evolving so do get a look at it.

Two others which are smaller and fainter- one at CM3: 29 (seen in the drawing above) and one more at CM3: 248.

These spots provide real clues into the behavior of Saturn's atmosphere, which is normally largely obscured by fog and haze, so don't just draw them, make Central Meridian timings and intensity estimates. Don't forget to send your observations to the APLO and the BAA Saturn section.

Archived