Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Dec. Motor stopped

A few night's ago I finally had a clear night/morning to use my telescope before the next weather system came in. It was very cold and everything started to get wet from the dew. Everything was working fine until the end of the 7hr photo session. Towards the end the dec. motor stopped tracking.

Could it had been to cold/wet for the motor? Is there anyway to protect the motors, like you do with the tube and eyepiece?

I am having the exact same problem with my Meade LX90 8" ACF GPS, the handset is giving me inconsistant feed back, RA works, but DEC doesn't even make a noise.

Having spoken to an engineer, it looks like I am going to need to send my telescope off - which at this time of year means I will be without scope for atleast 3-4 weeks. Worse still is I have only had it for 3 weeks!

Dumb me, when I looked at it this morning I was just listening for noise and looking for movement with out using the controller buttons. I went back out with my dad this time and he plugged everything in and started pushing the controller buttons and the DEC. motor does work. I just didn't realize that the DEC. motor tracks more slowly then the RA.

Just wondering the next time I go out for a imaging session in the cold, how long should I really be out there for? The night the DEC. motor stopped working I was out there for about 7hrs, and it was freezing, at least for us in the SF Bay Area.

Hi' a couple of times i was out till around 2 am.And the scope was full of frost and i noticed i was starting to get star trails so i turned the motors off in case i might done some damage.Next night things was running well till it got very cold again.Mark

Archived