Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

First Real Telescope Advice On EPs & Filters

Just a couple of things on your list i would perhaps leave off:

The 8mm Kellner i tried myself and not impressed. The £11.99 really does reflect it's quality.

The 82A filter i have and found completely useless. One of those filters i shouldn't have bought.

No idea about the Scopeteknix barlow. It sounds good with the 3 element design but not heard any reports of how it performs. £37.99 puts it at the same price as the Tal 2x in price.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Are you keen to buy from the same source?

Only the best value planetary orientated eyepiece is on Ebay from a very good and reliable retailer.

And First Light Optics have the best value barlow around with the Tal 2x.

Although at this stage i would be tempted to try the supplied 2x barlow first and drop the coloured filters entirely. But still get the moon (ND) filter. So all you are getting is the scope (with the 10mm, 25mm and barlow), the 32mm Antares Plossl for low power widefield, an 8mm or 9mm TMB Planetary clone, ND moon filter and that's it. See how it all goes with the supplied accessories first and get a couple more bits later.

If you really want to buy the high power eyepiece from Scopes'n'skies, switch from the 8mm Kelner to the Skywatcher 9mm Ultrawide. It has good eyerelief, wide field, really sharp on axis, really comfortable and really underrated. It will give 72x by itself, which will be good for smaller deepsky objects, medium power lunar. And will barlow to 144x, which will be a comfortable planetary magnification for both the scope and conditions most nights.

http://www.scopesnskies.com/prod/Sky-Watcher/%20Ultrawide/%20Eyepieces.html

The Skywatcher SP Plossl is identical to the Antares SP Plossl. :)

I found the Antares 2x deluxe to be as good as my Tal 2x but most others will argue that.

I have the 7.7mm Ortho and it's okay but not on a par with a good Ortho.

Ok guys thanks for all the advice in the end I ordered this

1 x Sky Watcher EXPLORER-130PM 130mm (5.1") f/650 Motorised Parabolic Newtonian Reflector

1 x Sky Watcher Sky-Watcher Ultrawide Eyepieces (6mm to 20mm) (9mm Ultrawide)

1 x Antares 32mm Plossl eyepiece

1 x Antares Antares Deluxe 1.25" 2x (and 1.5x) Barlow lens

1 x Sky Watcher 1.25 and 2" UHC (Ultra High Contrast) narrowband filters (UHC filter to fit 1.25")

1 x Antares 2-piece Moon filter set for all telescopes

1 x SnS Four piece optical cleaning kit

Archived