NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

CG5/heq5 dilemma

I have a celestron CG 5 which I have been informed is identical to the EQ5 mount. I want to put it on a pedestal/pier outside and had been looking at the HEQ5 pier from skywatcher, but, I cant find a definitive answer as to whether or not it will fit without modification.

Has anyone got a CG5 and tried mounting it on a pier/pedestal if so what how did it go and what make model was the pier/pedestal. I only need one 750mm high as I will use the scopes whilst sitting down.

I have the TAL pier and can mount the CG5 to it, but I just dont think its man enough for the job long term. So the plan is for that to go out the back with arthurs GT mount on it for general use and put a more solid pedestal/pier on the concrete slab at the front.

Yup, i believe the EQ5/CG5/HEQ5 have the standard GP base whereas the EQ6 has the wider EM200 base, you should have no problems attaching a CG5 to a HEQ5 pier.

As an alternative look at the piers that Orion Optics make for the GP mount: http://www.orionoptics.co.uk/acatalog/gp_options.htm scroll to the bottom of the page. You need the pedestal (height chooseable) and the pedestal adapter.

750mm is about right for me seated which co-incidently is the height of the skywatcher, sadly the orion comes out a bit more expensive as its another £40 for the top plate.. plus its in grey which will mean I have to paint it so it doesnt stand out to much..

Archived