Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M31 for critique

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Oh yes :D And tbh, M31 is a very tough target to start on, huge range of brightnesses and colours to cater for.

Isn't that part of the challenge? If I can get a reasonable image of M31 then what I learn during the acquistion and processing should be of use for other targets :D I'm happy with the progress so far but realise I need significantly more data to cover the high dynamic range of M31 including some even shorter exposures to cover the core of the galaxy. I might drop down to 800 iso as well to reduce some of the noise as I did shoot a couple of 8 minute exposures guided and the stars looked very round

I'm just be working out an exposure plan to shoot M31 with, does this sound reasonable or should I be increasing the number of images at each exposure?

Camera is a 5D MkII with the 600mm f4L lens

30 x 8 seconds @ iso 1600

30 x 30 seconds @ iso 1600

30 x 120 seconds @ iso 1600

30 x 240 seconds @ iso 1600

and maybe 30 x 480 seconds @ iso 1600 if I'm happy with the alignment

a 1st attempt with PixInsight, I used DSS to produce individal images of each exposure group including darks and flats. In pixinsight I've aligned and integrated them followed by histogram adjustment.

m31-integrated-wave.jpg

I still need a lot more data but I think I'm getting the basic processing sorted.

Archived